Title Sequence Clip Review
I have not really thought about the opening sequence of the films and their role even though I have watched so many movies. Now that I watched the beginning clips of certain movies, I realized that sometimes those beginning clips can make or break the beginning of the movie. I also never payed much attention to the songs or audio that were at the start of the movie or the fonts of the credits, but when I noticed them, I can see how it refers to what the movie is about.
For example, in the movie "Scream," the opening scene includes the title of the movie in creepy, red lettering with screams in the background which right away gives the impression that this will be a scary movie. According to the article, "First frames: titles in the digital realm", "Film titles are very important because they set up the expectation of an audience. They are usually the first thing you see." The first five minutes of the movie also shows a girl home alone and she gets a strange phone call. The action starts right away, and the audience is drawn in. The sound affects and the audio of the movie allows the audience to feel more involved with the movie. The sound effects can make the movie more dramatic. The screams that happen in this movie makes us realize this is a horror movie and almost like the screams are happening around us. The same thing with the movie "Jaws," it starts off dark and action packed within the first few minutes. When he classic "Jaws" sound effect is played it gives you the sense that something bad is about to happen. It draws in the audience and it creates more suspense. With horror movies, audio and fonts can add certain touches to the movie. Most people including myself, have not really payed attention to how much these things can impact a movie. Creepy fonts allow the audience to know it's a horror movie and certain audios and sound effects can cause suspense and keep the audience drawn in. The effects added to a film after it is produced, can make or break a film.
In the movie "Dazed and Confused," it gave a different impression at the beginning. It opens with a bubbly, small, fun fonts in the credits, cool cars and music. As stated in the article, "First frames: titles in the digital realm", "...titles seem to be the one place where computer graphics can be experimented with and showcased, regardless of whether we're watching science fiction, melodrama, or a comic book action flick." "Saturday Night Fever" opens in the same way with upbeat music and the character is dancing. The audience gets a different feeling from these openings than the other two. It makes you very intrigued and happy. It automatically put me in a good mood and I was excited to watch the rest.
The opening scene for "Trainspotting" is a little different too. It gives more information about the characters right away. It is a fast paced scene that quickly names the character and tells more about them. The audience learns about them within the first few minutes. The fast paced scenes show that this film is going to be very action packed.
If I do a movie/film for my project, I would want to do a horror/ murder mystery movie for my portfolio project because they are very action packed and I feel like they have a lot of detail in them. The fonts are always creative and the background music and audio are always attention grabbing and good at creating suspense. In horror movies there is never dull moment, so it will keep the audiences attention and everybody loves a good scare sometimes. The detail in horror movies, grasps someone's interest very fast and the plot develops quickly most of the time. Horror movies also allow you to understand characters well because you can see the way they act in certain situations. The only down side, it that horror movies can be a little difficult to produce and make sure it scares the audience.




Comments
Post a Comment